• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max and Jacks / poker dice

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

Max and Jacks / poker dice

'allo you 'orrible lot!

Can anyone here remember the rules of Max and Jacks? It was a pub-type board game played with poker dice and was very popular back in Zim.. probably with the older generation of Rhodies; my dad had it and we used to play it as kids.

I've got hold of a set of poker dice but no board and can't find anything online about rules... maybe because it's know by a different name. There are various sites explaining rules for games of poker dice but they seem to be along the lines of all players throw three times to get a 'poker hand' and the best hand wins. I seem to recall Max and Jacks was more along the lines of having to complete a row of everything, i.e. all 9s,10s, Jacks, Queens, Kings, full house, etc, and that you were only allowed one attempt at each hand.. but I can't recall how you scored at the end.

Please can soneone put me out of my misery, and if you have a board and can take a picture of it, all the better!
      Big shot screaming, "Put your hands in the sky!"
      He says, "Give it up boy, give it up or you're gonna die!
      You'll get a bullet in the back of the neck, in the back of the neck,
      right between the eyes!"

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Hi Skizz...Yes you're on the right track. You try and get as many 9's, 10's. Jacks, Queens, Kings and Aces. You also want a full house ( 3 of one and 2 of another) and a top or bottom Macks. Bottom is 9 to King..scores 25 points, top is 10 to Ace and scores 30. The person playing throws once. makes a selection, and leaving the dice he's collecting, gathers the others and throws again. He now has to declare what he is going for, gathers any non-scoring dice and throws for the last time. His score is then filled in in the relevant square on the scoreboard and the dice pass to the next player. 9's are worth 1 point, 10's =2. J=2 Q=3 K=4 A=5. Your full house is added up accordingly...3jacks on 2 Aces would score 16. At the end of the game the highest allover score is the winner, but you can also have money on each line and whoever gets the highest full house, or most Kings etc gets the cash for that line. Hope this all jogs your memory. Sorry I can't show you a board though! Oh...if after your second throw, you elect to go for a macks and do not get it, you must put a cross through your Macks box and that;s it, you cannot go for Macks again in that game. The same goes for your full house if you miss on that.

Poet, Scholar, Gentleman, but more often than not a complete Wag !
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      If in doubt about who's got the highest numbers, beat the crap out of the other person, that ensures you will win !

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Aaaah yes, starting to come back to me. So there were 8 scoring boxes; 9, 10, J, Q, K, A, Full House, Max?

On this bit, did you mean to assign 10s and Jacks both a value of 2, or is that a typo?

9's are worth 1 point, 10's =2. J=2 Q=3 K=4 A=5
      I can probably knock up a scoresheet on the computer rather than have the old chalkboard one but just want to 100% clarify the rules.
      right between the eyes!"

Yes, I run Zimbabwe
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

As far south as you can go and still earn
      Thanks
      [Dear Guest/Member to see the link to the full article/source you will need to login or register.click here to register]

voila basically the same type rules

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Yep, sorry for that!! It should run from 9=1 up to Aces =6. not a typo but a brain blimp!!!!!!!!
      The board, as you say, is made up of a grid of 9 squares (the 9 up to max (8 squares) plus another box for the total scores) with the figures running along the top. Leave space down the left hand side for the names of the players.
      We used to play many, many games with Maggie Richardson at our local; Tod's Hotel. We played for about 50 cents a game and 5c a line...can't remember the exact amount now...but we LOVED the game....and the beer that went with it!!!

Dis good shit mon
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Sounds like Yahtzee to me....
      Can't think of a thing....

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Nothing like Yahtzee. totally different dice for starters. Petals has the rules absolutely correct. if I can find our Max & Jacks board I will supply pics as requested

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Azieko N'daba [Dear Guest/Member to see the link to the full article/source you will need to login or register.click here to register]
      Nothing like Yahtzee. totally different dice for starters. Petals has the rules absolutely correct. if I can find our Max & Jacks board I will supply pics as requested
      Cheers. I had a look at the Yahtzee rules and I can see similarities but, as you say, played with dot dice rather than poker dice. I have knocked up some score sheets on paper from the computer, but a pic of a board would be great. I may get a chalk board from an art shop and paint on some lines if I can be inclined!
      right between the eyes!"

I'm a Lawyer .... Honest
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Thanks
      A friend of mine has a Max and Jax board with dice etc - Don't know when I will see him again but if it is soon I will also try and send you a photo of the board - look on e-bay you may just find one -that is where he got his from!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Nicky [Dear Guest/Member to see the link to the full article/source you will need to login or register.click here to register]
      A friend of mine has a Max and Jax board with dice etc - Don't know when I will see him again but if it is soon I will also try and send you a photo of the board - look on e-bay you may just find one -that is where he got his from!
      I couldn't find any reference to the game online. Normally ebay items will appear in Google searches, but worth trying on there directly I guess. Cheers!
      right between the eyes!"

You really wanna see it?
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Crazy

Thanks
      That's different to the one we used to play hey Petals? We just played straight poker dice I think? We loved it!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

Max and Jacks fullhouse score.

Hi Petals, I think your scoring for max and Jacks is correct, but for some reason I seem to remember that you had a fixed score of 15 for a full house regardless of what it was, Does this ring a bell ?

BITE ME!
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cocky

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bronson [Dear Guest/Member to see the link to the full article/source you will need to login or register.click here to register]
      Hi Petals, I think your scoring for max and Jacks is correct, but for some reason I seem to remember that you had a fixed score of 15 for a full house regardless of what it was, Does this ring a bell ?
      You are correst Bronson - Top straight, Bottom staight and Full house were fixed scores
      Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Yes, you are both correct...!!!!!!! How you score the full house is up to the players. Either score the set 15 points or . if, as we did, you bet on each line, the high/low score matters.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Thanks very much guys, you have all been a great help, now all I need is a diamentioned drawing or picture of one and I can make one for my bar, If you come across one please let me know, If I come across this same info I will put it up on this site to.
      Once again many thanks.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Not the best example, but will give you the general idea

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Cheers! I've knocked up a similar board on paper, with several 'games' per page, which I'll stick with. I was going to get a chalh board and paint some lines on it but paper is just as easy, and easier to store in a drawer... although I may have to put a huge Lion Lager logo on it like my dad's board had!

I'll probably stick with the rule of scoring a full house (pair and three) by counting the individual dice, as that's what I've now introduced to my friends and family. It can also swing a close game. Also will stick with top or bottom straight with the lower and higher scores depending on whether it ends with a King or an Ace.
      right between the eyes!"

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      That was certainly the most popular way that it was played in the club I belonged to back in Salisbury many years ago. Most of the Max n' Jacks boards we had were provided by Rhodesian Breweries and had Castle lager logo's on them. many of them had that game favoured by the indigenous on the reverse. I am sure most of you would have seen it played on the ground with a series of shallow holes and stone or bottle tops were moved around. the object being to get three in a row. I cannot remember what the game was called, can anybody remember?

I eat men for breakfast
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      on the issue of high and low max - high max (A K Q J 10) we socore as 30, low max (K Q J 10 9) we score as 25 and full house we score as 15. You have to call what you are going for on the first throw, and you have two more goes after that. If in your three throws you dont get what you nominated you got a zero score (in the case of max and full house)

I looked high and low for a max and jacks board, and even asked the same question on here. It looks like is was only played by Zimbo's I will be revamping our board, as I did it on a white board, and the paint is peeling.

Its a good game!
      I am a Nobody.
      Nobody is Perfect.
      Therefore I am Perfect

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Thankyou for supplying this picture it has realy helped.

Dis good shit mon
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Not the best example, but here you go, SW!!

Can't think of a thing....

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Skizziks Willit [Dear Guest/Member to see the link to the full article/source you will need to login or register.click here to register]
      'allo you 'orrible lot!

Can anyone here remember the rules of Max and Jacks? It was a pub-type board game played with poker dice and was very popular back in Zim.. probably with the older generation of Rhodies; my dad had it and we used to play it as kids.

I've got hold of a set of poker dice but no board and can't find anything online about rules... maybe because it's know by a different name. There are various sites explaining rules for games of poker dice but they seem to be along the lines of all players throw three times to get a 'poker hand' and the best hand wins. I seem to recall Max and Jacks was more along the lines of having to complete a row of everything, i.e. all 9s,10s, Jacks, Queens, Kings, full house, etc, and that you were only allowed one attempt at each hand.. but I can't recall how you scored at the end.

Please can soneone put me out of my misery, and if you have a board and can take a picture of it, all the better!
      Salibonane!
      I remember Max and Jacks. You get 3 throws and must nominate what you are throwing for after your 2nd throw. i.e. if you nominate kings (5 points) you get 5 points for every king facing up after your 3rd throw. A straight i.e. 9, 10, jack, queen, king. or 10, jack, queen, king, ace. Gets 15 points. and a full house gets 25 points.
      Variations for gambling that I used were a small straight gets you 10 points and a top straight 15 points. A full house counted as scored.i.e. 3 kings = 15 & 2 nines = 2 a total of 17 points the best being 3 aces = 18 & 2 kings = 28 points. We also threw in a monkey which is a broken straight (5 different dice, but must include a 9 and an ace) with a king missing 15 points, with a queen missing 14 points, with a jack missing 13 points, with a 10 missing 12 points.
      I hope this is of help.
      Only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet. Indebele saying.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

Max & Jacks Board

Send an email to me at andre at babypaws dot com an I'll send a pic of a genuine Rhodesian Board
      Last edited by joemac; 04-26-2010 at 06:25 AM. Reason: To stop the bots spaming your email.

Dont say NUFFIN about Linux.. It RULEZ ok!
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      You are more than welcome to post a picture of it on here Duke.
      Car Rentals in Zim
      Car rentals in Harare

BITE ME!
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cocky

Thanks
      Herewith one party weary board - seen much abuse

Not sure if Kingstons still have them in stock

[Dear Guest/Member to see the link to the full article/source you will need to login or register.click here to register]
      Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around

I eat men for breakfast
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Nice one jiggs
      I am a Nobody.
      Nobody is Perfect.
      Therefore I am Perfect

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks

Thumbs up Excellent :)

Great thread guys. Our family has 'misplaced' our Max & Jacks board and I was going to make one as a xmas present for my dad. NOw I have a clear vision.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      I can see you already have the rules...we used to play all the time in Vic Falls - was more popular on the Zambian side but the shack was always there for a game. Never had more fun losing a few dollars than a game of max and jacks.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, however, came across this thread during a google search for Max n Jacks. I have the dice, a son who's willing to learn, some of your instructions as gleaned from here, but not all the answers i.e. when does the game end? do you have to get all five 9's in one throw or can you split them? Are you restricted to only getting 5 nines, or do you carry on getting as many as you can of each number until the game ends, hence the scoring? Is it the first person who gets the high max, the low max and the full house is the winner?

Sorry if it sounds garbled, my son and partner are asking me questions about it as I type.

Any help would be muchly appreciated, as we are really keen to play this over Christmas.

Ta

Mercedes

I eat men for breakfast
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Hi welcome to the sight. The rules are simple. You get three throws. after the first throw you nominate what you are going for - ie 9. Then you have two more throws to try and get as many as possible. Once your three throws are up you record the score in the box. You dont get another go at 9. The game ends when every one has recorded thier marks in each box. The person with the highest points wins.
      I am a Nobody.
      Nobody is Perfect.
      Therefore I am Perfect

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Hey!!!! WHOOOOAAAHHH!!! Sorry Zimajays, but you're wrong there. You throw once, have a look and make a first choice...say you threw two 10's and odds, you left the two 10's, threw the remaining three dice and got three kings....you can then change...leave your three kings, pick up the two 10's and say "I'm throwing for Kings".. the third and last throw is what is then scored.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Petals, does that mean you can't go for 10's again, as you have already nominated them (even though you then changed to Kings?)
      They asked me why I don't have tattoo's, so I told them "Have you seen a Ferrari with bumper stickers?"

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Yes. In the game you have 8 turns each. In each turn you have an attempt of 3 throws for each of the sections; the 9's 10's etc. through to the Full House (3 of one and 2 of another) and Bottom or Top Max. (9 to King for bottom, 10 to Ace for Top)
      So once you have been for, say Aces, and got, shall we say 3...you put in the score of 18 in that box, and even if you throw 5 Aces in a subsequent round, it's just hard cheese..you've been for them and that's that. O.K.?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Oh, if you are lucky enough to have thrown 10,jack, queen, king on your second throw, you only have to nominate that you are going for Max's..you don't have to say which one, top or bottom..you get the relevant score if you throw the Tops Ace or the Bottom 9.

I am:
      Awesome

Thanks
      Sounds like a cut down version of Yahtzee?
      If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs....

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petals [Dear Guest/Member to see the link to the full article/source you will need to login or register.click here to register]
      Yes. In the game you have 8 turns each. In each turn you have an attempt of 3 throws for each of the sections; the 9's 10's etc. through to the Full House (3 of one and 2 of another) and Bottom or Top Max. (9 to King for bottom, 10 to Ace for Top)
      So once you have been for, say Aces, and got, shall we say 3...you put in the score of 18 in that box, and even if you throw 5 Aces in a subsequent round, it's just hard cheese..you've been for them and that's that. O.K.?
      Petals, you are a star! thank you so much. I think we shall be playing this endlessly. I remember my grandpa playing when I was little. I may need to come back to you if those fussy b*ggers indoors start coming out with more smart arse questions
      They asked me why I don't have tattoo's, so I told them "Have you seen a Ferrari with bumper stickers?"

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      Never played Yahtzee Cujimmy, so have no idea if they're alike.
      And that's fine Mercedes. Call anytime.
      We used to play endless games of Max with the people who owned and ran Tods Hotel ( near West Nick, half way 'tween Bwo. and Beit Bridge.) We used to play for money...can't remember exactly how we worked it, but it was great fun and the cash went straight into the next round so no-one ever lost!!!

I am:
      Awesome

Thanks
      Have a look: I'm sure from your description that they're just variants on the same theme - [Dear Guest/Member to see the link to the full article/source you will need to login or register.click here to register]
      If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs....

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks
      O.K. Yep, that's got many of the same aspects as Max. Obviously playing with the poker dice as opposed to straight numbers only dice is probably the biggest diffs, and some of the scoring is different. In Max, if you throw 5 different ones it's called 'a monkey' and you certainly do NOT score anything!

Thread Information